A suspected arson at an assisted care facility in Jenkins Township forced out dozens of people early Thursday morning, according to authorities. A male tenant in his 60s was taken into custody for a mental health evaluation after allegedly setting fire to a dayroom in a four-story building at River View Personal Care around 3:20 a.m., police said.
The Citizens' Voice, Thu, Dec 18 2014 @ 02:19 PM
Jenkins Township Fire Chief Dan Kosisky looks through a trailer at 201 Divorce Court in the Heather Highlands trailer park Thursday after a fire that displaced a man and woman and in which their three cats perished. Jenkins Township Fire Chief Dan Kosisky looks through a trailer at 201 Divorce Court in the Heather Highlands trailer park Thursday after a fire that displaced a man and woman and in which their three cats perished.
The Times Leader, Thu, Dec 18 2014 @ 07:27 PM
A woman accused of assaulting a city police officer with a syringe waived her right to a preliminary hearing before District Judge Martin Kane on Thursday. Kristen N. Dudzik, 32, of North Franklin Street, Wilkes-Barre, waived charges of aggravated assault, simple assault, reckless endangerment, resisting arrest, defiant trespass, possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and public drunkenness to Luzerne County Court.
The Times Leader, Thu, Dec 18 2014 @ 06:09 PM
A Nanticoke man was arrested Thursday on charges he shot another man in the head along the levee in South Wilkes-Barre last week. Michael Angelo Foschini, 25, of West Main Street, was charged with two counts each of aggravated assault and simple assault, and one count each of possession of marijuana and reckless endangerment.
The Times Leader, Thu, Dec 18 2014 @ 12:59 PM
Mario Bevilacqua, chef and owner of What the Fork, said he plans to open the restaurant in 1,000 square feet of space at 41 S. Main St. next to Katana Japanese restaurant in Midtown Village in late February. Bevilacqua will continue to have two food trucks in Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, but now he said customers will "get the added bonus of having a red stool and some counter space to enjoy it on."
The Citizens' Voice, Fri, Dec 19 2014 @ 04:05 AM
THE CITIZENS' VOICE FILE Michael Bardo was sentenced to die by lethal injection in 1992 for molesting and strangling his 3-year-old niece. The last man sentenced to death in Luzerne County will get a new sentencing hearing after the state Supreme Court issued a split decision on the effectiveness of his legal team.
The Citizens' Voice, Fri, Dec 19 2014 @ 04:04 AM
A Wilkes-Barre man sentenced to death for molesting and killing his 3-year-old niece in 1992 will get a new sentencing hearing and could possibly avoid the death penalty, the state Supreme Court has decided. In a decision issued on Tuesday, the high court was split 3-3 on whether to uphold a 2012 order of then Luzerne County Senior Judge Patrick Toole to vacate the death sentence of Michael Bardo because his attorneys did not present a wealth of mitigating evidence at Bardo's penalty phase hearing.
The Times Leader, Thu, Dec 18 2014 @ 10:22 PM